Radiant Rig is my implementation of the paper “Raycast based auto-rigging method for Humanoid meshes” by Romain Lopez (ESGI Paris) and Christophe Poirel (ESGI Paris). It works only in Blender 2.6.8 and above. Radiant Rig depends upon Rigify. Radiant Rig automatically creates a human meta-rig sized to fit the selected figure. Download Radiant Rig here.
Rigify comes pre-installed in Blender. It needs to be activated in order for it to work with Radiant Rig.
1) Go into User Preferences (Windows CTRL+ALT+U or Macintosh CMD+,)
2) Click on “Addons” and search for “Rigging: Rigify”. Make certain there is a checkmark beside Rigify.
3) Click on “Install from file” and select the downloaded Radiant Rig Zip file.
4) Click on the box beside “Rigging: Radiant Rig” to active Radiant Rig.
5) Click on “Save User Settings”.
1) Click on ‘N’ to show the Properties Panel. Load your figure into Blender.
2) Click “Generate Auto-Rig”.
3) You might get the following message:
Calculation Error. Unable to find all limbs.
* Limbs are covering each other.
* Not a humanoid figure.
* Clothing mesh on top of figure: Try with split mesh.
4) Click on “Split Mesh”
5) When the splitting is complete, click on “Generate Auto-Rig”.
6) Once rig calculation is complete, a new rig based on the Human Meta-Rig will be generated.
6) Click on “Bing Rig” to bind both the clothing and the main figure to the rig.
7) Your rig is now attached to your figure.